Day 7 at Ageya (Fire & Rain)

I’ve experienced some extremes during my 7th day at Ageya. Late last night/early this morning we had a little bit of an issue with a fire which burned through the two story shop building on the grounds. (And since then it’s been pouring rain) Thankfully, no one was injured and only the building and a nearby car were destroyed. (We’ve been told we’re allowed to say that much about it but not much more 1) because we don’t know much more and 2) because there is still an ongoing investigation about how the fire started.

We were out until about 4am this morning and then we were cleared to go back to bed – but most of us didn’t sleep much if at all. I was able to sleep a few more hours and then got up at 7:30am to check to see what was going on. No one else was up, but I did find all of the other WWOOFers in the greenhouse about 15 minutes later (I guess we were all on the same wavelenght, or just missed out on the same memo). About an hour later we caught up with someone who said the power was back on and breakfast would be at 10am (the shop housed all of the power sources for the camp).

It’s been rainy all day – sometimes pouring – and so the WWOOFers and I got to work on a greenhouse/permaculture curriculum to be tested at the end of this camp and then to be used in the following years of camp. I got to work on developing some activities to teach about plant nutrient cycles, life cycles, and permaculture relationships.

After lunch – sloppy joe’s – I took a four wheeler to move my stuff from the Raven yurt  🙁 to the Eagle yurt which I will now be sharing with a really nice instructor for the rest of the month. The cook and the camp elder lived above the shop and so they have to shuffle people around to make sure everyone has somewhere to stay. It was pouring the whole time so I came back from relocating pretty soaked. The showers were open though so I was able to warm up and change into some dry clothes.

Our work is pretty much at a lull today because a lot of the projects – like building stands for cucumber plants – requires lumber and tools that were inside the shop. Dinner is normally at 6pm but the change in schedule has pushed it to 7pm, but other than that the other WWOOFers and I don’t have many other plans. We might get into the kitchen to help a little bit but we haven’t been given that schedule yet.

Everyone’s a little bit hazy after last night so everything’s moving a little slow, but hopefully I’ll have some more exciting things to report on the rest of the week!

-Hannah

POST UPDATE – here are some pictures of the aftermath of the fire from the Ageya Facebook Page

The burned shop and car (taken from about where the greenhouse is located)

Close-up of the burned shop. There were a few propane tanks outside that exploded - thankfully none of the surrounding area caught on fire.

Close-up of the burned shop. There were a few propane tanks outside that exploded (One roof plank shot a couple hundred feet away and stuck straight up in the ground, and one propane tank shot into the ground and was buried a few feet under)- thankfully none of the surrounding area caught on fire.

2 Comments