Day 3 & 4 (Work/Small Town Homer)

Yesterday (Saturday 7/5) was the first day I was able to work in the greenhouse. The director showed me around and went over a few of the basic tasks that would need to be done on a regular basis. This coming week, there will be 5 other WWOOFing so we will be splitting up the jobs; but for now I’m doing a lot of it while a few of the other WWOOFers are on break. I started by watering the hanging baskets and flower beds by the dining hall and then went to work in the greenhouse. Yesterday, I planted some arugula lettuce, pruned the tomato plants, and used a moisture detector to selectively water the other plants in the greenhouse. The director also taught me how to train the grape vines on the back wall.

002

The middle of the greenhouse/staff hangout

005

Pumpkins growing in the back. They were planted next to rows of corn.

009

Kholrabi. I had never heard of or seen this vegetable before. It’s, supposedly, very similar to cabbage.

010

We also have a bunch of broccoli growing.

011

Arugula. The row I planted isn’t in this picture, those are still babies!

014

Potted plants in the middle of the greenhouse. There’s a butterfly towards the middle!

017

Cute little blueberry plants. I got to to try one right from the bush!

There are tons of other plants too! Tomatoes, butter lettuce, little apple trees, sweet peppers, hot peppers, lots of herbs (savory, basil, etc.),tons of grape vines, and others I can’t remember.

Then the director’s wife and one of her friends from out of town offered me a ride to the “Highland Games” and the local Saturday Farmer’s Market. I had no idea what the Highland Games were but I said sure and we headed into town!

On the way down we saw a moose with two calves!

It turned out that the Highland Games was a Celtic Fair with traditional Celtic sporting events put on by the Kachemak Bay Celtic Club (see the picture of people in kilts  in my previous post from the parade ).

SAM_0487

A picture from the men’s Braemar Stone Putt, where competitors throw a stone as far as they can. Here is the excerpt from the brochure: “This popular contest is derived from an ancient clan ritual. Each chieftan’s ‘stone of strength’ was situated at the entrance of his castle. Before entry was granted, every visiting clansman was obligated to test his strenght by throwing it for distance. This was perhaps to ensure that certain guests would be capable to defend the castle…In Braemar competition, a stone, weighing up to 26 lbs., is thrown from a stationary position.”

SAM_0490

We also watched the kids’ version of a Caber Toss. Where instead of using tree trunks, the kids were using long thick cardboard tubes (they still looked pretty heavy). From the brochure: “Historically, a felled tree trunk or caber was used to bridge deep, swiftly running rivers. Less apt to wash out when laid at a right angle to the river, accuracy of placement was both a highly developed skill and a dire necessity if one’s men were to cross the swift rapids. Today’s athletic competition is still judged on the accuracy rather than the distance of the throw.”

SAM_0491

We then watched on of the director’s daughter’s friends (far right) play violin and dance on the stage at the festival. The played/sang the Scottish song “The Bonnie Banks o’Loch Lomond

Then we went to the local farmer’s market which was made up of about 30 vendors selling local produce and locally made goods (jewelry, pottery, and salmon jerky – which was really good!). Everyone seemed to know everyone else there – small town! I ate a halibut taco for lunch and then we left to go back to camp.

Homer Saturday Farmer's Market

Homer Saturday Farmer’s Market

Amazing Halibut tacos

Amazing Halibut tacos

When we got back to camp there was a wedding reception underway (a group had rented one of the large yurts out) and they were playing B101.5 pop type music that could be heard across the camp. I thought it was little funny because the whole rest of my week up at camp had either been silent or filled with the buzzing of flies/mosquitos and the seldom weird noises that the cranes up here make.

Today, Sunday (7/6) I got up and watered and plants outside of the dining hall and then helped the director’s wife (along with 10 other people) load one of the umiak‘s onto a truck for her and her friend’s trip across the Bay. The director then told me that it was Sunday and I should take the day off so I have been!

I chopped up some fresh rhubarb the director’s wife had found growing wild nearby and stored it in the fridge, made myself some lunch on an industrial sized burner, and have been relaxing in the staff lounge ever since. No one is here and it’s a nice  break before all of the campers/staff get here tomorrow and Tuesday.

-Hannah

One Comment